ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The Inspiring Families Programme is an innovative intervention and assessment programme that can help strengthen and stabilise families.
It is a structured 10 week programme for families that are affected by domestic abuse. It provides professionals with a robust framework to assess the parents’ behaviour, coercive control, disguised compliance, the level of current risk and the likelihood of future risk.
It also identifies the potential for change and reduction of risk within the family, or indeed, whether the risk is too high or the potential for change too low to make working with the family a viable option.
The intervention has been designed to be an accessible tool that will provide professionals with the evidence they need to make an assessment of the family and to identify the need and level of intervention required moving forward.
The programme also supports professionals to make intelligent based decisions on what is the right intervention, for that family or individual members of that family at the right time and in the right order.
THE PROGRAMME BENEFITS FOR FAMILIES
- The opportunity to break the cycle of abuse, improved outcomes for children and families that stay together.
- New or different options for families that want to stay together.
- Parents have opportunity to be part of their own assessment.
- Parents have information to support their decision making.
- Participants have time to reflect on the impact that their behaviours have on their own relationship and their children.
- The Child’s Voice is part of the assessment process.
- It provides opportunity for the non-abusing parent to see what would happen if their partner was part of a ‘whole-family’ intervention; and….If the family do separate, it can be done through a safe and planned exit process.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any family where the couple are in an intimate relationship and there is a history of domestic abuse.
- The couple do not need to be living in the same household, however they need to have an intention to reconcile in the near future.
- Families referred to the programme will undertake an assessment for their suitability for the programme.
INSPIRING FAMILIES AND THE BENEFITS FOR PROFESSIONALS AND COMMISSIONERS
- Provision of a robust framework that assesses the parent’s behaviour, assessment of coercive control and disguised compliance.
- Provision of a framework to accurately assess the levels of current risk and the likelihood of future risk.
- A reliable method of gathering an evidence base around the dynamics of domestic abuse within families and a way to accurately identify the levels and types of intervention required.
- Provision of a means to test resilience, skills and motivation ensuring future contracts with families are appropriate and fit for purpose.
- Reduction of demand to high cost services such as police, health and social services.
- It supports professionals to target further resources and interventions correctly leading to better outcomes for children and young people.